How to Properly Clean Your Dog's Ears
Check out this great video Katalina & Archie made to show how easy it is to trim your dog’s nails!
Here are a few things to remember when thinking about nail trimming:
- Nails come in different colors; so if your dog’s nails are dark, be very careful not to get too close to the quick. (sometimes it can be hard to see).
- Start nail trimming-training early. Get your puppy used to having it’s paws messed with so that it is not a scary thing.
- Don’t wait too long in between trims. Too much growth can cause pain when trimming and the quick to be too close to the end.
- Create a habit! Do it regularly and give lots of treats! (unless your pet regularly goes to the groomer).
- And lastly, Don’t use FORCE! You’ll do twice the damage mentally and physically if forced. Making next time even harder.
Passive Range of Motion Exercises (PROM)
Passive Range of Motion is moving the joint through its available range of motion without muscle contractions. If a joint remains in one position for too long, the limb will lose flexibility, resulting in a slower return to activity.
BENEFITS OF PROM
- Improves joint motion after surgery
- Prevents contraction in the affected joint
- Prevents soft tissue inflexibility and shortening
- Prevents adhesion between soft tissue and bone
- Enhances joint lubrication
HOW TO PERFORM PROM
Make sure your dog is comfortable and relaxed prior to this exercise. It is best to perform PROM with your dog lying on its side. It is very important to ease into this exercise, making sure to not create any pain or discomfort.
- Support the limb both above and below the knee joint
- Start with the lowest joint (digits or hock) and work your way up the leg to the hip. IMPORTANT to do all joints of the affected leg.
- Try not to move more than one joint at a time.
Dr. George recently became certified in Chiropractics for all species of Animals. Chiropractic care has many physical & emotional benefits for pets. Certain misalignments in your dog or cat’s spine may have a negative impact on his mood and behavior. Chiropractic adjustments to those areas can correct these problems and get him back on track.
Dr. George attended the Healing Oasis Wellness Center and is certified in Chiropractics for large and small animals.
- Reduce Pain
- Increase Mobility
- GI & Urinary System
- Behavior & Mood
When Dr. George performs a chiropractic exam, he examines everything not just the spine.
Chiropractic treatments benefit more organs than just the musculoskeletal system.